“Reduce data usage“, often you may get this question. Here you will get simple steps to save your internet bandwidth as well as to work internet faster.
You may have limited internet plan. Some times you may have to connect your pc to smart phone. Smartphone may have limited data plan. In these cases, you need to Reduce data usage.
If you have limited data plans, you need to monitor data usage. Read my article about How to monitor internet data usage.
If you follow this procedure, you will save data. It also helps to work your internet connection faster.
Methods to Reduce data usage
Method 1: Use Google chrome
Google chrome works faster than Internet explorer. By default Google chrome compresses data. You can easily see this. Open any website with Google chrome and with Internet Explorer. You can easily see difference in clarity. Google chrome opens website with less clarity compare to IE.
Method 2: Change Google chrome settings
No doubt Google chrome increases the speed of your internet connection. You can also read how to speed up Google chrome.
If you have limited data plan or if you connect pc to smart phone. Then you must Reduce data usage. Below settings will help to save data usage.
- Settings->advanced settings->privacy->Content settings->Images->check “do not show any images”
- Settings->advanced settings->privacy->Content settings->plugins->check “click to play”
- Settings->advanced settings->privacy->Content settings->popup->check “do not allow any site to show popups”
First setting stops showing images. Usually images takes much bandwidth compare to text. If you can not understand content without images, better don’t use first setting.
Second setting stops playing videos and flash automatically. when you click, then only they will play. This setting is must to Reduce data usage.
Third setting is also must to save bandwidth usage.
Method 3: Data saver extension
“Data saver” is a Google chrome extension. It reduces data usage by using Google servers to optimize pages you visit. Google developed this, so we can believe it. For more details see Reduce data usage with Google data saver.
It is must have extension to save internet bandwidth. I observed that, my internet connection works fast with this extension. Best part of this extension is, you can see how much data you are saving.
- Go to Settings.
- Click on “Extensions” in the left menu.
- Click “Get More extensions” at the bottom of page.(You must have internet connection). You will see Google apps and extensions page.
- Search for “Data saver”. Click on “Free”. Now you will see blue circle symbol in the top right corner. Click on icon you can see how much data you are saving.
Method 4 : Using Windows 8 metered connection
If you have Windows 8, you have on more extra option to reduce bandwidth usage.
If you know any other techniques to save bandwidth, do share in comment section.