Want to know What is HEIC? and What is HEIF? Want to know How to open HEIC file or HEIF file? This article will give you enough information about HEIC and HEIF file.
What is HEIC & HEIF?
HEIC is a new image format introduced by Apple from iOS 11 and Mac OS High Sierra. Earlier versions of iOS and Mac were creating JPEG images with huge file size. Newer versions are creating images in HEIC file which is High Efficiency Image Format (HEIF). This file may appear as .HEIC or .HEIF file.
Apple is replacing JPEG with HEIC or HEIF. It is beneficial to the user. This image format preserves original high quality in less space than JPEG. So you find lesser file size but with high quality. HEIC file may contain more than one image like iPhone live photos or bursts or image sequences. It will also contain the metadata about image details.
HEIF is based on the HEVC (High-Efficiency Video Compression) or H.265 which is already using on iPhone. It uses advanced compression techniques to make your images smaller while preserving original quality.
HEIC is not actually a format. We can say it is a container which stores more than one image and image information. This is very useful for the live photos, images captured by dual cameras.
- Occupies less storage. Saves almost 50% storage space.
- Stores High-quality image.
- Stores more than one image.
- It can store image edits like cropping. You can undo them anytime.
- Compatible with 16-bit color Vs 8-bit JPEG.
- Not compatible with other Operating Systems.
- Not compatible with other photo apps like photoshop.
- Cannot open on Android or Windows.
Is it possible to share HEIC images?
iOS 11 automatically converts HEIC image while sharing with other phones or in Social media. But it is not 100 percent. Still, you will see some not compatible devices.
I Don’t Want HEIC file? What Should I Do?
It is possible to allow your latest iOS to take photos in normal JPEG format.
Just go to Settings -> Camera -> Formats and select Most Compatible option. Now you can see your new photos in JPEG format.
How to open HEIC file
HEIC file format is supported by Apple preview, Apple photos (Mac OS High Sierra or later), iOS photos (iOS 11 or later). So even if you have Mac or iPhone with older versions, you can not open HEIC file. You can not even open HEIF file using Windows or any other devices. There are so many ways to open HEIC file.
If you have the Mac, Just upgrade your Mac OS to the Mac OS High Sierra or latest version. If you have Windows, No windows explorer or app supports HEIC file. So you can not open the file directly.
Follow below methods. You can use below methods on Mac as well.
- You can use Dropbox web version or desktop version to open HEIC file.
- You can also use Google drive to upload image from iOS and open file on your PC using Google Drive.
- Use Wondershare Dr.Fone Transfer (iOS) which can convert HEIC images automatically transferring to your PC or Mac from iOS.
- You need to convert HEIC file into JPEG using Free software like Apowersoft HEIC to JPEG.
- Or open Free online converter HEICtoJPG. you will see below screen. Drag the HEIC file and convert to JPEG.
I hope now you might know What is HEIC? and how to ope HEIC file. If you know any other methods, please share them in the comment section. If you like this article, do me a favor by sharing it with your friends. Please follow whatvwant on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.