Hide Files In Windows is very easy. I am showing you 2 methods to Hide Files In Windows and how to show hidden files. You can hide files by using Inbuilt Windows feature. But that is not effective. You can also hide files effectively by using a free software. When don’t mind to spend some money, you can use premium software Lock My Folders which can lock or hide your files from computer or USB. Don’t want to spend money, then continue reading this article.
In First method, I will discuss about how to hide and un hide files in windows 7/8 with Windows feature. In second method, I will show you what is the drawback in windows hide feature and how to overcome that with a free software.
1st method to Hide Files In Windows and to show hidden files
How to Hide files in Windows 8 and show hidden files
- Go to the folder or file which you want to hide.
- Right click on folder or file. Click on “Properties”(“Properties” would be the last option”. You will see properties window.
- Check Hidden near Attributes.
- Click “Apply”. If folder has no files, immediately you can see change in folder symbol. Folder symbol will become transparent. If folder has files then, You will see “Confirm Attribute Changes” window shows that in above screenshot.
- Check Apply changes to this folder,sub folder and files option.
- Click “Ok”. You will see change in folder symbol. It will become transparent.
- Click “Ok”.
Now you don’t see your folder. If you see your folder with hidden features then follow below steps to hide file.
Open file manager or Go to “This PC” or open any folder.
- Click “View” in top menu.
- Uncheck “Hidden items”.
Now you don’t see your folder or file. You have to redo above steps to show hidden files. That means in “view” section you need check “Hidden items” to show hidden files. You can change file attribute by following same procedure.
How to Hide files in Windows 7 and show hidden files
Change file attribute to hidden by following the procedure from above method. Or right-click on file or folder -> Click on Properties -> Check “Hidden” near attributes -> Click “Ok”.
Go to my computer or any other folder.
- Click on “Organize” in top menu.
- Click “Folder and search options”. You will see “folder options” window.
- Click “View” in top menu.
- Check “Don’t show hidden files, folders and drives”, if you don’t want to show hidden files. Check “Show hidden files, folders and driver”, if you want to show hidden files.
- Click “Apply”. Rest of the procedure is same as windows 8 procedure.
Second method to Hide files in Windows
First method has one drawback. Even if you hide your files, any one can see them by changing folder view option to “show hidden files”. To avoid this drawback and to secure your files better, I am suggesting you to use Winmend folder hidden software.
It is a wonderful software. It is completely free software. Only you can see hidden files. You can password protect this software so that no one can open this software.you can use this software to hide files in your computer. You can hide files in USB. You can also hide files in external hard drive. I have written complete procedure about how to use Winmend software to hide files.
Always free softwares have some flaws. When you are serious about your files security, I recommend you to use Lock My Folders software. It uses military grade encryption to password protect your folders and files. You can lock any file from your Windows PC or USB. No one can uninstall this software without your password.
Thanks for reading my article. If you know any other methods to Hide files in Windows, do share in comment section. If you like this article, do me favor by sharing it with your friends.